Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Campus Music and UCs

Today I was taking a smoke break at Liu Jiao (6th Classroom Block) when some guy started humming softly to himself, then like a gradual crescendo, broke out into full song about pining for a girl, before walking off, leaving his song trailing behind him, carried back to me by the winter winds.

Later in the evening, I was taking another smoke break when I heard a faint strumming of the pipa. Walking towards the song, I came up to a window where I saw a bunch of middle aged people practising pipa and opera songs. I'm beginning to love this campus, even with heaters that don't work, and the lack of power points for my laptop.

In other news, UC people are pretty stupid. I had to endure their sub-par marketing presentation in the morning, and then in the evening Logistics Management class, a pretty ABC from UC Berks asked the professor in an insistent voice, "Isn't Branding already part of R&D??" You could almost hear my jaw land on the desk with a huge thud. Then after class I overheard them debating smugly how it was impossible that all the firms in the world had 80% of their revenue/income from 20% of their customers. They took the 80-20 rule wayyy too literally. Seriously man, how did they get into UC Berks? Is it that easy?

5 comments:

  1. They need your friend to knock some sense into them at night.

    That might take care of the heater problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Chan is applying for Berks right ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you guys come to Shanghai you'll be seriously disappointed sia, and Mr Chan has Berks as a fallback plan I think, let's hope he never has to resort to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Berks is a good school lah. Not to mention there is the San Francisco Bay area which is utterly marvelous to fall back onto if things don't work out. But maybe its those ABCs that are at exchange at Fudan that are really dumb. After all, thats one of the main reasons I wanna go to an Ivy League instead of a great public U because I think somehow, there's always idiots who manage to get into great schools such as UCB and UCLA by just being book or exam smart. Not saying that there's nothing to learn from these people, just that I'm probably too impatient to hang around them. :) I'm sure Shanghai will be better once you are more used to it la.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Encouraging words from Bro Chan to Kawaii-ojisan

    ReplyDelete